Global assembling of Academicians, Researchers, Scholars & Industry to disseminate and exchange information at 100+ Allied Academics Conferences
Hafiz Hafeez Ullah, has completed his Pharm. D at the age of 25 years from Hajvery University, Lahore, Pakistan. He is the Hospital Pharmacist at “The Indus Hospital Kahna Nau, Lahore, Pakistan”.
The current study was being performed to evaluate the birth complications in diabetic mothers; including both maternal and fetal complications; miscarriages. The nature of study was observational cross-sectional. The study was being taken place at different hospitals, clinical settings, and maternity homes of Lahore during September 2016 - November 2016. The demographic data, family history, socio-economic history, indications, examination findings, results, lab findings etc were recorded. Total 200 pregnant diabetic patients were evaluated for this study. The age limit for this study was 18-40 years. The patients were being analyzed for their FBS/BSR or HbA1cfindings and the type of diabetes was being recorded. Out of 200 patients, 81% had GDM while the remaining patients were being presented with pre-gestational diabetes (type I 5%, type II 14% patients). Most of the GDM cases were being diagnosed during 5th to 8th week of pregnancy. Out of 200 pregnancies, 20.5% (41) of these patients had normal pregnancies, and had no major fetal complications except uncontrolled sugar level in mothers. Remaining 79.5% (159) pregnancies/deliveries were associated with some major complications including respiratory distress, macrosomia, hypoglycemic babies, CVS malformations and still births/miscarriages. The ratio of normal vaginal delivery to CS was found out to be 29% to & 76%. The major indications for these CS deliveries were placental abruption (19.74%), dystocia (14.47%), uterine rupture (13.16%), breech position (6.58%), fetal distress (46.05%) and to some extent previous CS. The miscarriages were being associated with hypertension (41.5%), polyhydramnios (22%), Hughes syndrome (12.2%), and uncontrolled sugar level (24.3%). In our study population TT immunization status was good i.e. 76%. Diabetes is still a major problem of birth complications and miscarriages. Public awareness program is required to educate the people about reproductive health and to motivate them to undergo BSR/FBS during pregnancy prior to 24thgestational weeks to diagnose for GDM. KEY WORDS: Pregnancy, Complications, Diabetes, GDM, Neonate, Fetus, Miscarriage